Sunday, December 4, 2011

The Reason

Just the other day, my husband had to have a medical procedure done and while they were doing it, I had time to reflect on a lot of things.  My husband is one wonderful person and that's something you just have to take my word for.  Over the years he has spent a fortune on me, bought me beautiful things, helped me with problems, took over many aspects of my responsibilities, and is always willing to lend a helping hand.  Well, as I was thinking about all of this,  I decided that I would make more of an effort on the home front, and clean things up a bit and take better care of the beautiful things he has provided for my enjoyment over the years.

So, yesterday I got busy and decided to attack my closet first.  I pulled out 2 tubs of personal papers, poetry and reading material, and short stories I once wrote for children when I was a student at The Institute of Children's Literature.  I found tears running down my face because these poems were written when I was around 28 years of age, and had just met Jack.  He turned my whole world around and the happiness I found just being with him, was incredible.  I would lie awake at night while he was sleeping and just be so happy and full of joy that I didn't want to close my eyes, for fear that it might all disappear while I was asleep and that I'd wakeup and find myself alone once again.  But that didn't happen, and by the 1st month of knowing him, I couldn't have imagined what it would be like to ever be alone again. 

I've always enjoyed writing, especially poetry, and the love my husband gave me, and the happiness we shared, had to be expressed.  I found the poetry helped me to express the deeper aspects of my personality and it was a great outlet for me.  This is one that I particularly like, and I want to share it with any readers that might stumble upon my House Mouse blog.  I hope you find some meaning in it and if nothing else, just a little something to make you go "hmmmmm".

                
                                                                    The Reason

                                                        There is a reason for everything,
                                                        a reason for snow,
                                                        a reason for spring.
                                                        
                                                        A reason for water to run
                                                        downhill,
                                                        a reason for lakes to lay
                                                        quiet and still.

                                                        A reason for joy and also
                                                        for pain,
                                                        a reason for sad hearts
                                                        to smile once again.

                                                        Sometimes the reasons are
                                                        harder to find, and often
                                                        there's not even the tiniest sign.
           
                                                        But even in wondering what
                                                        the reason might be,
                                                        for the things that happen to
                                                        you and to me,
                                                       
                                                        We find not an answer
                                                        and so then we must
                                                        continue on blindly and
                                                        we learn how to trust,

                                                        A higher authority,
                                                        a bigger design,
                                                        and though we don't know it,
                                                        true reason we find!

For those of you who are having a hard time, and don't know the reason,  sometimes the only thing you can do is just "keep on keeping on," and trust that the outcome will be something you never thought of.  But then, my optimism knows no bounds.  I try to always believe in a higher, more benevolent creator than people give him credit for.  It's not always easy to understand why, but there truly is a reason, and as the years roll by, you find it.  Always look for the rainbow....the promise of a new day, a better day, and perhaps you'll get lucky, like I did.  My rainbow walks on 2 legs and gives me such love, that I too have found the reasons why I suffered for so many years.  The rewards have been many.  Keep looking....... 

4 comments:

  1. Uh oh! Better restock my supply of halo polish...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, you better! I also posted on Across the Years, and for whatever reason, it showed up here on House Mouse....but Sid helped me to fix it. I am tired now, and I think I'll go take some meds, and maybe start on dinner. I have to fix 2 because Angel and Venus are here, and they don't like the vegetables I put in oriental. That's for you and me. I have a lot o the vegies that are on your new food list, so I am taking care of you baby! I'll see you tonight! Love you more and more as the years roll by.

    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. You guys are cute. I like the poem mom! Often there doesn't seem to be a rhyme or reason to much of anything, but with hindsight, sometimes things make more sense. And besides, what doesn't kill you....right?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I must be made out'a steel or some indestructible material. I swear I don't know how I survived some of the things I've been through. It amazes even me that I can still be optimistic and up-beat. I just find the strength I need in somebody bigger than myself.
    But for all of us, we never know what a day may bring. We just have to keep looking up!

    ReplyDelete